State Auto Insurance, one of the largest auto insurance companies in the USA, required complex actuarial analysis and reports to be carried out on a daily basis. State Auto faced several issues pertaining to time, operation, performance costs and capabilities while operating on IBM Netezza.
The legacy system was unable to offer advanced analytical solutions which also came with a high maintenance cost. Moreover, Netezza’s end-of-life was due in 5 months. The decision to decommission it and migrate to Google Cloud Platform was then suggested.
- To improve the platform performance and eliminate problematic data siloing, Datametica built a single platform on GCP to optimize network efficiency.
- Eagle – The Automated Assessment tool was used to analyse the existing Netezza Data Warehouse and reveal the complexity, data flow and overall system design along with formulating robust migration strategies, at a granular level.
- Datametica accelerator, Raven – The Code Conversion tool was used to convert complex undocumented Netezza scripts and Informatica jobs to BigQuery.
- The performance gains from BigQuery and GCP allowed users to efficiently evaluate and process customer insurance policies, leading to additional opportunities for revenue and customer growth.
- GCP’s Cloud Dataproc provided auto scaling and managed Apache Spark jobs, while Cloud storage offered a unified back-end location for internal data.
- Pelican– The Automated Validation tool, was used in data validation during parallel runs, so Datametica completed the migration from Netezza to GCP and its validation process within 4 months with automated technologies, extensive production experience and accelerator repository
Atreus Global Accelerators Used
GCP products We Used
The following GCP products helped Datametica in establishing a single environment for a systematic workflow:
- The development time was reduced by 45%, maintenance costs were cut by 55% and query execution time by nearly 90%.
- Improvement was visible in the team’s effectiveness with the introduction of AI and advanced analytics through GCP.
- High security was enabled using GCP platform
- The Data Lake on GCP was made scalable to handle unpredicted demand patterns
- Support for disaster recovery and provisions were made available
- User-friendly tools that contribute to higher productivity were deployed. This also assisted in faster processing and resolved tasks around Analytics and AI capabilities.
” When we were evaluating GCP implementation partners, Datametica came out as the front-runner by a margin. Datametica, with their automation tools and accelerators, combined with their mature reference architectures, demonstrated faster migration capabilities at a lower cost together with the continuous validation tools to assure reliable delivery and result. At each step, they showcased their expertise on GCP and guided us through the journey of migrating our analytics – VP Enterprise Architecture, State Auto“